Golfer’s elbow is a condition that is similar to Tennis elbow. But not just limited to golfers. This condition causes pain in the inner side of elbow where the tissues of the forearm muscles are joining the inside of the tip part of the elbow. The Golfers Elbow pain could also be felt at other parts of the hand like forearm and wrist.
The uncommon name also includes Pitcher’s elbow, Climber’s elbow and Little league elbow.
Cause of Golfers Elbow
The injury is most commonly found in people playing golf when while swinging the muscles tissues are stretched to stress. Pitchers in sports involving throwing of ball also sometimes develop this kind of injury.
Symptoms of Golfers Elbow
The common symptoms of Golfers Elbow:
- Pain at the back of the elbow and difficulty in the movement
- Weakness in the wrist
- Pain in different hand movements like when flexing the wrist toward the forearm, shaking hands
- Pain that extends from the inside of the elbow through the wrist to the pinky.
Golfers Elbow Diagnosis
A detailed physical examination of the wrists and elbow and then studying the movement causing the pain. The Physical examination is followed by:
- MRI – to find out other underlying issues like swelling
Golfers Elbow Prevention
- Avoiding the play or at least lessen the frequency in case the pain has started to appear.
- Maintaining over all fitness and strength of the overall arm
- Using the right equipment to play
Golfers Elbow treatment
The paining elbow must be put to rest until recovery starts. The treatment involves:
- Medication: Pain killers could be recommended to get relief from pain and inflammation sensation.If no relief in 3-6 months injections could be used.
- Applying Ice pads: Appling ice to the affected area for few minutes in regular intervals for relief from pain.
- Using braces: Braces are used to restrict certain movements to avoid strain and allow healing of the injury.
If the symptoms do not improve even after non-surgical methods for at least 3 to 6 months, a surgery could be needed. Though such surgical conditions are rare. The surgery is always followed by physiotherapy.
Golfers Elbow Recovery
This totally depends up-on how early the condition is identified and treated. Resting is the key to recovery here. Full recovery could take up to 6 months
A elbow strap is tied to restrict certain movements. Proper medication and regular follow-ups should not be avoided.
Physiotherapy plays an important role in such conditions. It consists of various weight and stretching exercises of the hand. It helps in relieving pain.
The Upper Limb Clinic, Thane west, is dedicated clinic for all diseases related to Knee, Hand, Shoulder, Elbow and Wrist. Contact us today for Golfers Elbow condition to get better and accurate treatment.